In Sir Ken Robinson's video, The Importance of Creativity, Robinson stresses creativity in education. He states that creativity is just as important as literacy, and should be treated at the same status. Society puts stigmatisms on mistakes, and that we are educating people out of their creativity because of it. Children take chances. Children also are not afraid of being wrong. Robinson says if you are not prepared to be wrong, you cannot produce original and creative thoughts. Whenever we become adults we are not growing into creativity, but growing out of it. Education is not all about what goes on in the inside, but also the outside. We should be encouraging the arts. We should be the ones creating these opportunities.
Like Robinson, I believe that we should be using this gift we have wisely. Robinson states, "We should be seeing creative capacities for the richness they are, and children for the hope they are." This statement is so very powerful because as educators we are to be preparing them for the future by educating them as the whole person. We may not be able to see the progress and changes we have made in their lives, but they certainly will in time. It would be such a sad thought to know that we robbed children from their creativity when it could only benefit them in the future.
I completely agree with what you said above, it is a shame that children, as they get older, are being robbed of their creativity. I believe that they not only are robbed because of them growing out of it, but also because of the fear of being teased or made fun, by other students, for expressing it. I also believe as future educators it is our responsiblity responsibility to welcome creativeness in our classroom. I hope that there are future educators that feel like you and I.
ReplyDelete